Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Cultural Differences

Today, as most days, I ordered a cheese quesadilla at Zack's (our school cafeteria). For two (or three?) years now you no longer order your food from a human being; instead you go to a touch screen and place your order there. You select what you want to eat and drink and then press "PAY". Then a screen comes up giving your total (again) and asking if that is "OK". Yes, it's ok.
I wonder how such a machine would work in places like India, Israel or Morocco. Would it accommodate bargaining?

Your sandwich comes to a total of $30 dollars. Is that ok?
1.Yes
2.No.

>> 2

Please select a reason:
1. Simply won't pay this much. I'll walk out.
2. I don't have that much on me.
3. My house is on fire.
4. I just got fired.
5. I need to teach the value of money to my kids.

>>4.

Sorry to hear that. Please make a counter proposal.

>>$2

Sorry we are not able to accept that price. Your new total is $25 dollars. Is that ok?
1.Yes
2.No

>>2

Please select a reason:
1. Simply won't pay this much. I'll walk out.
2. I don't have that much on me.
3. My house is on fire.
4. I just got fired.
5. I need to teach the value of money to my kids.

>>1

Wait! Maybe we can figure something else out! Is $12 dollars ok?

1. Yes
2. No

>> 2

...

3 comments:

ronocdh said...

This was both funny and deep. Your best post. Don't even try to top it, because it rocks so hard.

jose said...

great post. when you think it is going nowhere, there is a sudden and very funny turn with its cultural collision.

Julia said...

Thanks dad. I especially love the "think its going no where" comment =D